The Philharmonic Society of Compignano
The first written citation about the desire to create a marching band in Compignano dates back to 1902. In fact, there is a post card from this year, sent by the Pelitti musical establishment of Milan, in which there are the prices of some instruments. The document is addressed to mister Anacleto Bertolini, who, according to local stories, was among the creators of the musical band, in February 1899.
In those years, the idea of a band matured, in order to “give prestige to Compignano and, at the same time, offer a new way to pass the long winter nights”. A large part of the population of Compignano, made up mostly of farmhands and kiln-men, with a decent presence of merchants and craftsmen, contributed to the purchase of musical instruments, which at the time cost about 195 lire.
1907 marked the beginning of lasting link between the Compignano Philharmonic and the festival of the Holy Crucifix, established in that very year. After a long period of draught, in fact, the Compignano townspeople, guided by the priest Don Gabriele Brustenghi, asked the Crucifix for intercession, with a procession. Upon their return, the first drops of rain began to fall: and the celebration began, which, since then, has been held every year without fail, on the second Sunday of May. Probably the official and meaningful participation of the band in the procession in the morning and in the concert, in the town square, in the afternoon started with that year.
In 1912, the group of Compignano musicians decided to call themselves the Philharmonic Society, which the name that is still used today, and in 1920 the marching band became a musical band.
The thirties mark an important changing point for the musical band, which first acquired its own place and then land on which to build a venue suited to its needs. The building was constructed in Via Vittorio Veneto and was officially recognized as property of the Philharmonic Society in March 1950.
In the coming years the Philharmonic consolidated its activities and its bond with the town: the Society in fact has an important role in cultural promotion thanks to the organization of day trips, carnival parties, New Year’s celebrations and cultural trips. The band today is made up of about 40 elements and, besides accompanying the most significant moments of life linked to the town community, it participates in band meetings and rallies, promoted regionally. The training of young musicians happens through courses organized by the Music School.
Thanks to www.compignano.it for their kind authorization to use the historic texts and images.